Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Making Of Egg Soap


My soapmaking group, Brooklyn CP Soapmakers, met this past Saturday to make soap using whole eggs. The egg is used in a lot of recipes for facial masks and also in some hair care formulations. So hey! Why not use it in soap! We used the recipe that's published in Merilyn Mohr's book The Art Of Soapmaking to guide us through the process. In the book Merilyn uses only the yolk but we decided to see what would happen if the whole egg was used. Actually nothing out of the ordinary except exceptional soap!


The ingredients used were soybean oil, coconut oil, olive oil, spring water, sodium hydroxide, lavender essential oil for fragrance and the herb nettle. We soaped at room temperature which was approximately 75 to 80 degrees. When taken out of the mold the next day, I could smell the slight odor of eggs, but as soon as it was cut and curing the odor disappeared within minutes. Now the pleasant smell of lavender is shining through. This soap will be used to shampoo our hair and hopefully the protein from the egg and properties from the nettle will increase the benefits of the soap.


As a matter of fact, I made this soap a few weeks before our group was scheduled to meet. I used it a couple of days before the meeting. I was impressed at how soft, silky and smooth my hair felt after using it. I didn't have to use a conditioner because the comb glided through my hair easily. I am convinced that the egg must have had a positive effect on my hair follicles. I don't think I ever have to buy shampoo again!

8 comments:

The Muse said...

Wow it sounds like you had fun and learned something as well! neat!

Does the use of egg, effect the shelf life of the soap :)

Daisy Soap Girl said...

During the saponifying (chemical reaction) phase the egg is actually cooked into the ingredients and soap has such a high ph level that it doesn't hold bacteria but I would recommend a shelf life of three to four months. I always save a bar of whatever I make longer than that to see just how long it lasts. I can honestly say that I've had some bars for years.

Lomond Soap said...

Hi Delores, egg soap sounds good, how many eggs did you use in your batch?
Hey, thanks for the vote on Blogcatlog, really appreciate it :)

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Hi Corrie, thanks we are all in this together! : ) I used just 1 egg for a three lb batch. The egg had 5 grams of fat and I didn't want it superfatted so any heavier than my normal allowance.

Crafty Sue said...

I've heard and used egg shampoo but I had never heard of egg soap before.
Sounds interesting.
Sue.

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Hi Sue,
That and Merilyn Mohr's book gave me the idea. Didn't know how much of the egg qualities would remain after soaping but I honestly must say that my hair was somuch softer and easier to manage after shampooing with it.

FairyAlchemy said...

I love my blue egg shampoo soap but i've only got one blue chicken left after a fox attack and she hardly lays now bless her ruffled feathers.... maybe i need to go get new chickens xx

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Oh my gosh. She must still be in shock. Poor thing.