Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Help! My Soap Is Sweating!


Even though the sky looked ominous, there was no sun in sight and a forecast of possible showers; we packed up the soap display baskets and headed for the farmers market in time for the eleven o'clock opening. I barely had time to setup and make a few sales before the sky opened up and rain began to fall as if there were no tomorrows. The only solution was to cover the soap so it couldn't get wet and try to wait it out. The waiting turned out to be three solid hours, nonstop with some drizzles in between downpours.

When the rain seemed to be at its end I uncovered my displays, making them ready for the few brave souls who decided to venture out to walk the dog or do a little light shopping. As I waited on customers I noticed that the soaps they were handing me for packaging were damp. Upon further investigation it appeared that all the soaps in my display baskets had formed little beads of condensation on them. There was no way I was going to sell my customers wet soap. I informed the market manager that I was leaving for the day. It was only a little after 3 PM just two hours before the market closed but I'd rather sacrifice money than the integrity of my business.

On my way home, I contemplated what could have happened. I had covered the soaps in such a way that not a drop of rain touched them. I then realized that there was 100% humidity in the air with the rainfall. Natural handcrafted soap is loaded with natural glycerin which attracts moisture. While this is a good thing in the bathtub it is not so pleasant when selling soap outdoors in rainy weather. This was an "Aha Moment" for me and proved what we natural soap crafters have been saying for years. That the layer of glycerin left on the skin while using natural soap helps attract much needed moisture to the skin. Keeping it healthy and fresh looking. So if this sweating soap situation ever happens to you, just wipe the soap off and let it dry. The only other thing to remember is to turn the shower off when you finish bathing to help the soap last longer. And that should be an easy thing to do my friends!

16 comments:

Christine Anderson said...

Interesting! I'm glad you didn't loose any of your soaps. I get that with my cards so I have to poke small holes in the bottom of the cellophane on warm/moist days.

I didn't know that glyceing helps to bring moisture to the skin. I will have to remember that. Those darn "Aha moments"!

Mary Humphrey said...

I was thinking humidity as well. I had to buy a dehumidifier for my soap room, for the worst of the humid summer months.

Delores, those are certainly some beautiful soaps! I am curius about the gorgeous mint green bars.

The Scent Lady said...

Arrrrgh! I feel your pain.

lawmacs said...

Thanks for these post they are always inspiring to read and thanks for your support also

Crafty Sue said...

I knew glycerin attracts moisture, when I was just a kid and I used to get chapped lips from the cold my mum would pass glycerin on my lips , she said it would help to keep them from dehydrating ... it was the only treatment she knew... lip balm arrived some years later.
Your posts are always so interesting... thanks!

LynnAnne said...

We had the same situation at the market last Saturday. The other vendor sells her soap unwrapped ( I shrink wrap mine) and had the same thing happen. While its not attractive, we talk about the high glycerine content and how it acts as a humectant to the skin....there's the proof!

Daisy Soap Girl said...

That was the first time I had experienced that and somewhat relieved to know I'm not alone. I have to give some serious thought about preventative measures on rainy days. Mary that dehumidifier sounds really good for my soap room. The room is the coolest place in the house but it's good to have another plan.

Desktop said...

I had never thought of it that way before with the glycerin attracting moisture.

A neat ah ha moment. Thank you for sharing.

Jenny
DeskTop Labels

coolingstar9 said...

Daisy Soap Girl,
After reading your post. I feel sad for you that your great efforts had been ruined. This was ready the great pain and you had indeed had learned the lesson of thinking ways of solving the problems, may be you need to have some good cover during the raining day.
Your intergrity will enhance your business because customers can feel it. Surely you will have repeated customers.
Be happy, temporary setback can be the greater strength for your next success.
Best wishes to you and all your family member, have the nice whole week.

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Thanks for your kind words Cooling. They are always welcome. In life there are setbacks so I have learned to flow with life instead of against it. I use my energy in more constructive ways. It gave me a chance to come home and plan for better things.

Aree said...

Hi thanks for visited, that soaps look very beautiful.. have a nice day...

Lynn said...

If you keep writing about your soap, I may be forced to drag out my soapmaking ingredients to whip up a batch.

I did support my local soapmaker this weekend by buying a bar of Brown Windsor for hubby's shaving mug. Do you thing that might count as my making a batch? lol

Daisy Soap Girl said...

@Lyn...good that you supported your local soaper, but dig out those things and whip up two batches for Christmas gifts, girl! What the heck is Brown Windsor? LOL

Nadia Sam Cyrus said...

I didn't know that glycerin helps to bring moisture to the skin.
I love the picture of your soaps.
Great soaps......
Bath grab handles

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Yes Nadia, that's one of the many benefits of using natural soaps. Thanks for your lovely comments.

GulfGal said...

Your soaps look great.
Yes, humidity is horrible. Would silica packets in the container help?
They can be purchased at photo supply stores.