Thursday, January 14, 2010

Surviving Starbucks


If you've never been to Starbucks I have a few tips for you before you go. You don't want to get on line and not know what you're doing. There is a special language that Starbucks customers use and the cashiers expect you to use this language in order to keep the line moving. There is a rack in the store with pamphlets explaining the different drinks and how to order but who has time to read this while you're standing in line. I guess they expect you to take it home to study and then come back when you've decided on your drink. It's so much easier if someone explains it to you before hand.

My first order at Starbucks was just a coffee because I didn't know what else to order. The people in front of me were ordering things like Caramel Macchiato, Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte and Green Tea Frappuccino-hold the cream. What the heck were those and what do they taste like anyway? When my turn came, I timidly asked for a small coffee with cream and sugar. The cashier (barista, as I've since learned) promptly informed me that the small was referred to as "tall". When my coffee came it was black, no sugar, I complained and was told that the cream & sugar were at the "fixings" bar near the door. Oh, what an embarrassing moment. Everybody now knew I was a Starbucks virgin and didn't really belong. What a smug look I got from the next person who loudly ordered the Venti Vanilla Latte. I thought to myself, "latte to you too", and walked on over to the fixings bar. The coffee was actually really good and I knew I'd be coming back for one of the more fancier drinks eventually. Then I'd order myself a Venti Chai Latte just like a Starbucks pro, but will refuse to look down my nose at the novice.

Okay, so here are those basic tips to get you started. First there are three cup sizes. The "tall" which is 12 fl oz, the "grande" holds 16 fl. oz and the "venti" hot drinks are 20 fl. oz while the venti cold drinks are 24 fl oz. You tell them what size you want. Then there is the matter of which coffee, tea or other drink you want. You can always order coffee but the fancier coffee drinks are macchiato, expresso, cappuccino, lattes, and various teas, tea lattes and hot chocolate. The cold drinks are the frappuccino coffee and non- coffee drinks, frappuccino non coffee drinks are blended with cream, fruits, vanilla or green tea. You can then customize your drink by having it made with soy or skim milk, having them add protein or fiber powder and flavored syrup. They can add a double shot of expresso, hold the cream or make it "skinny" by using sugar-free syrup. These are a few things that will help with your ordering but please, please remember there is that fixings bar that has the sugar, cream, milk, cinnamon, stirrers, napkins and sometimes powdered vanilla. So get out there and treat yourself to a fancy drink. If I happen to see you there, I'll treat you to one.

16 comments:

Lynn said...

hahaha...you are correct. I did feel like a dunce the first couple of times at a coffee bar, maybe it was a Starbucks or a knock off. There are no Starbucks in Drippin' so you have to give me a break here.

You are more adventurous than me. I haven't the foggiest what a macchiato is. My order is down pat - venti mocha latte, double shot, skim milk, whipped cream. (Skim milk to offset the whipped cream.) Once I got brave enough to order a frappuccino. It took more than twice to remember the size names.

The Muse said...

I had to laugh...because I recall ordering the first time too!

I now have gotten a bit braver and decided to be a little savvy, knowing the lingo, and ordering like a pro!

T.A. Helton said...

My drink of choice is a Grande Black Eye, No Room. But, if I want to splurge I get a Triple Grande Mocha Extra Hot...and yes, I want whip! ;-)

GulfGal said...

Delores, what a funny blog! I had the same "dorky" experience at Starbucks. I'd never been and also ordered a "small". "You mean a Tall, don't you?" Since when is a small drink a tall? Jen is a Starbucks aficionado, and has made 'fun' of my coffee inadequacies.
My favorite drink at Books-A-Million, where I do much of my early morning tea and coffee drinking, is a Grande "skinny" vanilla chai latte. I love chai tea.

Daisy Soap Girl said...

I knew everyone must have had a first time at a coffee bar. LOL The first time can feel so intimidating but once you get the knack of the lingo, everything else just flows. We then become adventurous and start ordering other things.

You know what? They should give samples like they do at Baskin Robbins.

lawmacs said...

This is very moving been here in london i hsd starbucks coffee may be twice taste great but here it is very expensive just give me a white coffee with some baileys added

Daisy Soap Girl said...

@Lawmacs..Bailey's sound nice, maybe in a Vanilla Latte. LOL

alankarshilpa said...

Had a good laugh! Soo true. I just felt like you the first time. So much to every day!

Have a great day and by the way -HAPPY NEW YEAR.- Dita.

Onlinehandyman said...

Excellent post Delores! This so hits home with me as well. The only difference is that I still get kind of confused in Starbuck - probably because I don't go there very often.

Not a big fan of the fancy coffee's so I am very happy with my local deli or 7-11.

Crafty Sue said...

Delores I hope things are ok with you.
I hope to see you post again very soon.
Sue.

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daisy Soap Girl said...

Hi Everybody, especially Lynn & Crafty Sue. I have been so busy with soapmaking & beekeeping that I haven't had the time to post anything. But, not to worry, I have a few things that I will post. You will like the upcoming post about the new restaurant I'm opening. Probably in a day or two.

LynnAnne said...

Am I the only one whos ever walked intoa Starbucks and timidly asked for " just plain coffee'? Can't wait to hear about your restaurant! Thats exciting!

Doreen said...

Hi Delores I have been thinking of you too especially last Saturday when we had an Artisans Market and there was a girl with her very own stand of handmade soap, if you have time you can see her pic on my blog. Best wishes for all your projects, and hope to 'see' you here soon : ))
Blessings,
Doreen

Doreen said...

Hi, wanted to come by to tell you you have a friendly award awaiting you on my Whimsical Blog...I know how busy you are, just take your time, it will still be there for you to collect any time : ))

Daisy Soap Girl said...

Thanks to all for being so patient with my neglected blog postings. I have been trying to organize some unexpected but delightful things that have been added to my 'platter". Everything seem to be leveling off now.

I've missed all my friends and your postings and I have to catch up on my reading.

Doreen I will pick up my Award. It's so nice to be missed. And, remembered!