Saturday, April 3, 2010

My New Garden Restaurant


This Spring I think I'll open a restaurant. It will not be like any restaurant you've ever seen. I'll serve up the finest of foods. All plant based of course, with such delightful dishes that even the most finicky eater will relish with pure joy. There will never be a dish left unfinished. This will be a restaurant that appeals to only a select few and only that select few will be allowed entry. Dinner will be refused to those who don't meet certain requirements. It's a restaurant for snails and slugs, you see.

It has occurred to me that all the flowers and some of the vegetables & fruits I have growing in my garden are the favorite foods of snails and slugs. They seem to share my taste in horticulture choices. I know they must be thanking me profusely for planting such a wide variety of treats. And, a nice place for them to come dine each night.

The first course that I'll be serving early in the season is a wonderful little appetizer that I call Lettuce. The next delightful dish will be the juicy and sweet Strawberry. Then I'll provide them with the succulent foliage of the Hostas and the tender purple flower of the Iris. Later in the year I pamper them with delicate dishes of Daylily, Dahlias, and Marigold. Maybe I'll add a side dish of Cabbage and Gerber Daisy for dessert. I have been told that whatever I do, I should not decorate the restaurant with any type of copper, crushed "eggshell art" or coffee grinds. Nor under under circumstances should I serve them beer. They are especially attracted to that drink and have been known to get drunk and drown in it. And, we wouldn't want that to happen, would we?

10 comments:

Crafty Sue said...

LOL! I thought you were really talking about opening a restaurant, a people's restaurant!
I am happy you are back, I missed your posts.
Just in time to wish you a Happy Easter!
Sue.

lawmacs said...

Good idea nothing much to add here except glad you are back blogging sis

coolingstar9 said...

Daisysoapgirl,
This is the first time I hear about this type of restaurant.
Wow,it's a restaurant for snails and slugs. Surely they will feel happy.
Yes, giving joy to them, what we get are more joy.

Doreen said...

What a beautiful garden and what a great writer you are : )
I really enjoyed your Garden Restaurant post...I love your wonderful sense of humour!

Alison said...

Oh what a great resturant idea!!! I need you to visit Colorado to open my franchise....lol

Dmarie said...

Sounds Yummy. I cant plant anything here at ground level my friends the Deers, the rabbits, the raccoons, the squirrels,the groundhogs, the possums and the BEARS eat it all. I have all my stuff on my deck upstairs. I got to send you some pics.

Daisy Soap Girl said...

@Alison. Funny you should say that. I am visiting CO for The Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild Conference. Too bad I won't have time to help you with the restaurant. lol

Daisy Soap Girl said...

@Dawn, having trouble posting to your blog.

LynnAnne said...

All gardeners operate this type of establishment: but not nearly so humorously as you do Delores!

Lynn said...

Glad to see you back!

Give me a few more months and I may think my garden is an insect restaurant. lol Seems to me I heard you plant two for you and one for the varmints(critters); however, I don't remember anything about insects.